The EVDC history
1998 – Inauguration of the European Veterinary Dental College
The European Board of Veterinary Specialisation accepted the application for provisional recognition of the European Veterinary Dental College (EVDC) in April 1998 and the College held its first examinations in Ljubljana, Slovenia, in May that year. The inaugural meeting of the EVDC was held on May 14, 1998, at which stage there were twelve members:
Fidel San Roman
Passed the first examination:
|Inaugural President Cecilia Gorrel
The primary objectives of the College shall be the promotion of study, research and practise of veterinary dentistry in Europe, and increase the competency of those who practise in this field by:
- Establishing guidelines for postgraduate education and training as a prerequisite to become a specialist in veterinary dentistry, including equine dentistry;
- Examining and authenticating veterinarians as specialists in veterinary dentistry to serve the veterinary patient, its owner and the public in general, by providing expert care for animals with orodental diseases;
- Encouraging research and other contributions to knowledge in all aspects of veterinary dentistry, and promoting communication and dissemination of this knowledge;
- The development, supervision and assessment of continuing education programmes in veterinary dentistry;
- Committing itself to the development of a culture, which recognises the importance of quality, and quality assurance, in its activities, and to this end, the College should develop and implement a strategy for the continuous enhancement of quality.
- Guaranteeing and maintaining the highest level of specialisation in veterinary dentistry, according to European Qualifications Framework (EQF) level 8.
EVDC's Policy Statements
- EVDC agreed with A statement on „Anaesthesia-Free Dental Procedures” for Cats & Dogs (adopted on 2013). Click here to download the document.
- EVDC signed Joint EVDS/EVDC Statement on Clinical Competencies in Small Companion Animal Dentistry and Oral Surgery (May 2014). Click here to download the document.
- EVDC endorses the VOHC Seal of Acceptance to oral home care products that meet pre-set standards of effectiveness in dental plaque and calculus control. (adopted by the Board May 2016)