Small Animal owners

What is a veterinary dental specialist?

The title of Board-Certified Veterinary Dentist signifies the veterinarian has taken an extensive examination, reviewed by a Specialty Board, the European Veterinary Dental College Board, after completing a dental residency and all credentials necessary and passed the examination. To be eligible for this examination the veterinarian has to have completed veterinary school, completed a one-year internship and several years in a formal dental residency. After all these steps the EVDC veterinary dentist may use the title “Board-Certified” or “EBVS European veterinary specialist in dentistry”.
A Diplomate of the European Veterinary Dental College (EVDC) is a veterinarian who has been certified by EVDC as having demonstrated specialist knowledge and expertise in veterinary dentistry as a result of completing the EVDC training requirements and having successfully passed the EVDC examination.
EVDC is recognized as the specialist certification organization in veterinary dentistry in Europe by the European Board of Veterinary Specialisation. EVDC diplomates are veterinary dental specialists.
The European Veterinary Dental College (EVDC) is the clinical specialist organization for veterinary dentists, recognized by the European Board of Veterinary Specialisation.

Why would you see an EVDC specialist?

Many specialists see patients on a referral only basis and receive patients after a primary care veterinarian has made a formal referral or recommended the owner/animal care giver seek expert advice.
Common reasons for referral to a specialist include special needs patients, advanced procedures like root canal therapy, difficult extractions, multiple extractions, stomatitis cases, oral masses or tumors, severe trauma, advanced periodontal disease, jaw fractures, or orthodontic consultations.
Sometimes animal owners seek advanced procedures like a root canal treatment for fractured teeth rather than scheduling extraction with their primary care veterinarian or may desire intra-oral radiographs or CT imaging.
Often animal owners seek the advice of a dental specialist when they want to know all the options for oral care or to receive a second opinion.

Question you can ask at your consultation:

Do you have intra-oral radiographs?
Intra-oral radiographs are made using small radiographic films or digital sensors placed inside the patient’s mouth. They provide superior quality images for examination of individual teeth or sections of the jaws compared with standard-sized (whole body) veterinary radiographs. Because veterinary patients will not cooperate when a radiograph or sensor is placed in the mouth, taking dental radiographs requires that the patient is anesthetized.